Saturday, February 23, 2013

6 Evocative Sentences to Capture the Imagination


Can six evocative sentences capture imagination and inspire interest? I hope so! Without further ado, I present twenty-four sentences from four Rose Anderson novels.
Photobucket
Six from The Witchy Wolf and the Wendigo
Setting the Stage: Ash, an immortal Native American shaman, has recently entered the modern world. Here, quite unexpectedly, he ends up kissing Livie in the restaurant parking lot after a dinner date. Never exposed to beer before, Ash is a little tipsy.

His lovely dark eyes sought hers and the passionate yearning reflected there made her feel dizzy with want. He spoke in his language again and she shook her head, not understanding. He smiled, picked up her hand and kissed her palm. Closing her fingers around the kiss as though it were a tangible thing, he told her, "You make me burn for you Livie, but this is not the place to love you as you deserve."
Not knowing how to respond, she took a breath and let it out slowly. If not for the fact she barely knew him, she'd ask him to come home and finish what he'd started, inebriated or not. Buy The Witchy Wolf and the Wendigo in eBook & Paperback   
 
Six from Loving Leonardo
Setting the Stage: Nicolas and Ellie invite Luca to discuss Leonardo da Vinci, and realize they have more than one interest in common.

I believe we were all aware of a sexual tension growing in the intellectual-rich loam. There were little things at play now: the way Ellie moistened her lips and looked at us with eyes that lingered from one to the other. The way Luca's irises had darkened from snow shadow to moon shadow as he looked upon her. The way I'd catch myself with a reminder to breathe as my eye was drawn to these small distinctions. Like da Vinci's sfumato, our mutual attraction hung in the air, and I was struck by the notion that the smoky quality depicted in his art was desire. Desire like this.
Buy Loving Leonardo in eBook & Paperback

Six from Dreamscape
Setting the Stage: In her waking world, Lanie knows Jason Bowen as the Victorian era ghost who haunts her house. At this point in the story, she's entered her dream world, a world where Jason is very much alive and well in his time. In one world she loves a ghost and feels the hopelessness of that fact, in the other she loves a man doomed to die.

His eyes searched hers. He needed her to know. "I will love you through time. I will love you in your dreams and in the waking world. No matter what happens, no matter when." His lips found hers, and kissed her sweetly.
Buy Dreamscape in eBook & Paperback 

Six from Hermes Online
Setting the Stage: Vivienne receives an email from an enigmatic man known only as S. Together they embark upon the world of anonymous Internet communication.

They were only words, weren't they? If so then why could I see it, why could I feel this so acutely? I clicked send and waited.
"You've got mail" burst forth from the speakers. I discovered I had been conditioned to have an autonomic response to seeing the envelope and hearing the computerized words. Like Pavlov's dog, I began to salivate.
Buy Hermes Online in eBook & Paperback

 
About Rose
I love words and choose them as carefully as an artist might choose a color. My active imagination compels me to write everything from children's stories to historical fiction. As a persnickety leisure reader, I especially enjoy novels that feel like they were written just for me. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever read one of those, then you know what I mean. I tend to sneak symbolism and metaphor into my writing. You might say it's a game I play with myself when I write. And I so love when readers email to say they've found something. I'd like people to feel my stories were written just for them, for that's the truth. These hidden insights are my gift to my readers.

Rose Anderson – Love Waits in Unexpected Places

 
Oh so many author's pages. Too many to mention.
I’m just about everywhere!